Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Is Your Garden Pet Safe?

I don’t know about you but I love gardening. I’ve got a huge one in my backyard and all the wild animals love to romp and rest there. But if I had an outdoor pet like a dog or cat, I’d have to be real careful. A number of my favorite plants made it to the toxic list.

So, I thought I’d post a list I found online of plants you should be cautious of around your pet.

Toxic Plants
The springtime plants that can result in gastrointestinal upset in dogs and cats include:
Amaryllis Caladium Tulip
Ferns Calla lily
Hyacinth Iris
Iris
Plants that are considered very toxic and can result in severe illness or even death:
Crocus Azalea Rhododendrom
Easter lily Tiger Lily Bittersweet
Clematis Daffodil Day lily
Foxglove Lily of the valley Narcissus
Morning Glory Death Camas

If you suspect your pet may have chomped on one of your plants, try to determine how much he actually ingested, and from what part of the plan. (The entire plant isn’t always toxic.) Then make sure to take a sample with you to the veterinarian. Of course prevention is always the best solution.

0 comments:

Post a Comment